Content of the programme
sandwich PhD candidate spends the first part (around nine months) of
the PhD project at Wageningen University. During this time the research
proposal is expanded and a tailor-made education and training programme
is started up. Where possible and applicable, research is also started.
next thirty months are spent conducting research in the home country of
the candidate under the supervision of a local supervisor who is also
the copromotor. Sandwich PhD candidates have regular (online) contact
with their supervisors at Wageningen University. Sandwich PhD candidates
often return to Wageningen for short visits, and a Wageningen
University supervisor will, during critical times of the research, visit
the PhD candidate’s home institute.
After the research in the
home country is finished, the candidate returns to Wageningen University
to finish the PhD thesis, which takes approximately nine months. The
local supervisor will act as copromotor at the graduation ceremony.
- WU promotors can submit one application.
budget of €70.000 is provided to cover living allowance for a total of
18 months in Wageningen, (partial) travel costs of candidate and
WU/local supervisors, visa application costs, and use of facilities,
such as the WUR library, ICT network, office space, access to the
campus buildings, sports centre. The applicants should guarantee the
additional (research) budget needed.
- The applicants should guarantee the additional (research) budget needed.
- The candidate should possess a Master degree which is recognised by Wageningen University at the time of submission.
- The candidate should possess a proof of English proficiency required for the Wageningen University PhD programme
- The candidate should be a national of an eligible country.
- The candidate should start the PhD project and hence the stay at Wageningen University in 2021.
candidate should have a clear link to the home institute. Candidates
who are employed or remain to be employed at the home institute after
completion of the PhD programme will receive priority.
quality and infrastructure of supervising groups, institutional support
and quality of the relationship between home institute and WU.
- Including motivation and CV.
- Including originality, clarity and feasibility.
Funding of the programme includes €70.000 to cover:
- PhD living alowance for a total of 18 months in Wageningen
- (partial) reimbursements for travel costs of candidate, WU supervisor and local supervisors
- visa application costs
- use of facilities.
The WU promotor submits the application form and all required documents in one compiled file (digital only) to firstname.lastname@example.org before 19 May 2021.